Budget is everything when it comes to renovating your home and with good reason. Even if you follow the rule that you should put money away to cover the costs of those outrageously expensive home disaster surprises, you still need to follow some basic rules. When you are hiring a contractor get references and check them (really check them). Then of course make sure that you renovate what really only needs to be done, it is very easy to fall into the trap of "well while you are here fixing this could you fix that or renovate this as well"
What you need to do next is get what you want at a price you can realistically afford. With some well planned out ideas study about the design you choose and the materials you are going to use, you can cut your costs without cutting corners.
1. Hit a recycling center like "ReStore" that Edmonton Habitat for Humanity runs. They just opened a brand new store in the west end just off of Mayfield Road and there are some great deals to be had there and you are supporting a great cause while you are at it!
2. Do your own Demo Work: Do you know how fun and easy it is to do your own demo work? It is stress relieving and can you save you hundreds of dollars, all it will cost you is a couple of hundred dollars for a dumpster to be dropped in front or behind your house and your time of course. A contractor can cost you upwards of a $1000 or more.
3. If you are renovating your bathroom or Kitchen DO NOT MOVE the Kitchen sink, the toilet or the tub, the cost of moving those can be the most expensive cost to you when renovating. Plumbers are not cheap and when you move pipes remember if you are in an older house that you might just have to replace more of that old plumbing than you originally planned.
4. Attend Building Supply Auctions: There are a few building supply auctions that happen in Edmonton you can google them and see when and where they are being held. If you click here you can find all of the Auctions being held in Alberta.
5. Add Solar Tubes instead of pricey Windows and Skylights. A solar tube will cost you anywhere from 150$ if you do it yourself to $500 to have it professionally installed where skylights and windows will start around the $1000 dollar range and increase from there.
6. Do the Small jobs yourself. When you get a quote to renovate from a contractor it usually includes everything from the consultation to the cleanup after. If you’ve got the extra time and a bit of skill, ask the contractor if you can do the cleaning, painting, and some of the light demo work yourself. This can save a mountain of money.
7. You do not need to pay full price for appliances. You can look for the sales, and even Kijiji is a great place to buy. It is amazing at what people are selling on there, you can find almost new for next to nothing. Also Scratch and dent sales are great.
Great Renovation Site is Edmonton Home Renovations Guide
Download the Jackson Home Renovation Guide Here
For more information on current listings, to schedule a showing,
or free property evaluation, contact: